English 316 Elements of Style
Help students improve their writing styles and recognize the stylistic options open to them as writers. Discuss style as the art of selection and result of active decision-making. Students will read, write, and reflect upon stylistic choices writers make to develop the skills necessary to improve their writing and create their own styles.
Prerequisite(s): ENG 102 or equivalent. Read more...
Target Student Population:
All students who would like to work on their writing at the sentence and paragraph level.
- Students will be able to adapt their writing style to different audiences and occasions
- Students will be able to alter their style to create different effects
- Students will be able to give structure, meaning, and emphasis to complex ideas
- Students will be able to analyze their own writing styles
- Students will develop a distinctive voice, a quality that distinguishes excellent writing from competent writing