English 373 Medical Writing
This course is designed to help pre-medicine, pre-dentistry, pre-vet, and pre-physical therapy students address reading and writing demands in the health professions. Examine research and workplace writing, uses of narrative in medicine, the personal essay, and MCAT essay.
Prerequisites: English 102 or equivalent; junior or senior class standing.
Target student population:
- Pre-physical therapy
This course is designed to provide students with an overview of writing demands and concerns in the health professions and with the rhetorical skills to communicate effectively in various healthcare professions. In the course students will be asked to:
- Study rhetorical principles important in various healthcare professions;
- Learn methods of analysis for approaching texts;
- Gain familiarity with the requirements of selected medical genres (research articles, workplace documents, personal essays, MCAT essays);
- Reflect on their own communication strategies;
- Consider how ethical issues influence communication in the health professions;
- Prepare for MCAT essay;
- Prepare for personal essay.