CPS 430/542 Lecture notes:
Defining and populating a relation schema in SQL
Coverage: [FCDB] §§6.5-6.6 (pp. 286-301)
- various datatypes
- setting primary key
- adding and dropping attributes
- default values (not null)
- adding, dropping, and modifying tuples
inserting a tuple into a relation: INSERT INTO Movies;
dropping a relation: DROP TABLE Movies;
- need not be empty to drop
- if not empty, all tuples lost
- use with caution
- maintain backups of your database
||J.D. Ullman and J. Widom. A First Course in Database Systems.
Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, Second edition, 2002.