University of Dayton Chapter
American Association of University Professors
October 28, 2005
Roesch Library, 3:00 p.m.
Presiding: President Joseph L. Watras
1. Minutes of September 8, 2004
The minutes were approved.
2. Treasurer Friel's Report
The chapter accepted the report that showed the bank account had experienced a slight increase to its positive balance.
3. Books bought by the Library for the Beauregard collection.
The Beauregard fund was given $100.00 by V.P. Buckley for the purchase of books on Academic Freedom.
4. Wine and Cheese discussion – Fr. Marshall discussed the present status of the Society of Mary and the changes that have taken place. Questions for the participants included items about moral issues as exemplified by such efforts as the work of the Alcohol Awareness taskforce and how they apply to the Catholic Church. His replies were excellent. The members of the chapter express their appreciation to Fr. Marshall for the fine presentation he gave. In addition, the Chapter wishes to thank the LTC for the use of their fine facility.
5. The possibility of criminal background checks before hiring faculty is being discussed by the Academic Senate. President Watras provided the Faculty Affairs Committee with the National AAUP’s policy statement concerning such criminal background checks. We await the outcome of discussions with interest.
6. The chapter decided to hold a wine and cheese social in February 2006. We will invite the executive director of the AAUP’s Ohio Conference to meet faculty members and explain the ways that the state and national organizations of the AAUP can help with local campus affairs. Although a specific date is not set, the members agreed to try to hold the social on a Friday afternoon when the Academic Senate is not in session.
Dec. 3 (Thurs.) 2005 in Roesch Library room 203 at 3:00
7. Adjournment at 4:00 p.m.
David M. Buckley (taking over for Dr. Beauregard’s term),