University of Dayton Chapter
American Association of University Professors
Dec. 1, 2004
Roesch Library, 3:00 p.m. Second Meeting, 2004-2005
Presiding: President Joseph L. Watras
1. Minutes of Oct. 20, 2004
The minutes were approved.
2. Treasurer Friel's Report
b.The report was accepted.
3. Faculty Salary report was given to the Chapter by Associate Provost Joseph A. Untener. The University is changing
to a new peer group for salary comparison. It is not clear how this group was selected. Since we are changing salary pools, it would be a good time to include categories that are not now represented such as Librarians and others.
4. We are concerned about Contingent Faculty and hope that the University can decrease its reliance on these people.
Are they included in all the reports concerning faculty?
5. Establishment of fund to honor Dr. Beauregard
The University of Dayton chapter will donate $200.00 to be matched by the Chapter’s officers for the establishment of a library fund for the purchase of books on Academic Freedom. Dr.
Beauregard passed away last May 5 after many years of dedicated service to the University of Dayton. The fund now stands at $500.00. We have received Notes of Appreciation from his daughter Caroline Beauregard Shinkle. Donations to the Beauregard Book Fund should be made to Jane Dunwoodie, Assistant to the Library Dean.
6. Prof. Friel is notifying National AAUP concerning the death of Dr. Beauregard.
7. We mourn the passing of Ed “Sandy” King, a long-time Professor here at the University.
January 26 (Wed.) 2005. 3:00 PM in Roesch Library room203
7. Adjournment at 4:00 p.m.
David M. Buckley (taking over for Dr. Beauregard’s term),