University of Dayton Chapter
American Association of University Professors
March 06, 2008
Roesch Library 503, 2:00 p.m. seventh Meeting, 2007-2008
Presiding: President Joseph Watras
1. Approval of the minutes of Feb. 14 2008
2. Treasurerís report
3. The Chapter President, Dr. Watras, received a reply from Dr. Thomas Skill, head of UDIT explaining the Universityís position on the prohibitive costs of the free internet phone connections for retirees and professors. Although the loss of the service saddened the chapter members, they appreciate that Dr. Skill made an extensive explanation.
4. The University of Daytonís chapter of the AAUP will hold a meeting in Kennedy Union room 222 on 15 April 2008 from 3pm to 4pm. The subject of the meeting will be distance learning and its impact on universities and on faculty members. The participants will include the director of the Ohio Conference of the American Association of University Professors and other board members of the Ohio Conference. These AAUP officials will try to answer such questions as the following: What is the AAUP policy on distance learning? What are the important considerations in setting up policies for faculty load and on-line learning? Is web-based education cost effective for small programs? What business models should universities follow when implementing distance education? All chapter members, university faculty members, and university administrators are invited. Refreshments will be served.
5. The next chapter meeting will be April 10 at 2:00 in Roesch Library Room 503.
6. The meeting adjourned at 2:40 p.m.
David M. Buckley