BACHELOR OF MUSIC WITH A MAJOR IN PERFORMANCE
Listed below are the required courses for a major in performance.
MUSIC REQUIREMENTS (87)
- Basic Theory (16)
- MUS 111-114 Theory and Aural Skills I (8)
- MUS 211-214 Theory and Aural Skills II (8)
- Music History and Literature (12)
- MUS 301-302 Music History I and II (6)
- MUS 303 World Music (3)
- Elective (3)
- Conducting/Arranging (4)
- MUS 240 Fundamentals of Conducting (2)
- MUS 318 Fundamentals of Arranging (2)
- Performance Studies (36)
- MUS 399 or 499 Major performance area (24-36)
- MUS 399 or 499 Minor performance area (4-12)
(Must include piano performance or MUS 296-299)
- Ensembles (8)
MUS 400 level
- Music Electives (14)
Piano Performance majors must include MUS 405-406 Piano Literature.
Voice Performance majors must include MUS 235 Voice Pedagogy and MUS 360 Vocal Literature and Diction.
Performance majors are strongly urged to register for a Special Topics class with their performance instructor, to be chosen to complement other performance studies.
- Recital Requirement: Each major will present a minimum of one-half recital during the junior year and one full recital during the senior year.
- Students are expected to attend and perform 7 semesters on student recitals (MUS 200).
UNIVERSITY REQUIREMENTS (49)
- Humanities Base
- ENG 102 or 114 or 198 (3)
- HST 101 or 102 or 198 (3)
- PHL 103 (3)
- REL 103 (3)
- General Education Requirements
- Arts/Language: MUS 302
- Historical Study: MUS 301
- PHL 325 Philosophy of Music (3)
- One additional Philosophy/Religion course (3)
- Social Science: (recommended) PSY 375 (3)
- Physical/Life Sciences: Elective (3)
- Basic Skills
- ASI150 First-Year Experience (1)
- CMM101 Fundamentals of Oral Communication (3)
- ENG 101 College Composition (3) (only if ENG 102 is taken for Humanities Base)
- Math (3) (not MTH 102, 204, or 205)
- Social Science (3)
- Physical/Life Science (3)
- Humanities Elective (3) (Beyond Music courses)
- General Electives (6)
Voice Performance majors must include two semesters of foreign language.
Total required for graduation=126-136 semester hours
Go to Degree page for:
Composition | Music Education
| Music Therapy | Bachelor of Arts
| Church Music | Music Minor
Return to Department of Music Home Page
This page was last modified on 15 October 2002. Please send any comments to