|The situation in Palestine is verging on that of a humanitarian crisis.
The Palestinian population, 3.2 million people, is currently under the
worst siege in their entire history.
· People are unable to move between
Palestinian villages and towns, and goods cannot be transported.
· Large parts of many cities and villages
are under 24 hour, or dusk-to-dawn curfews; tanks and armoured personal
carriers sit in the streets, outside homes.
· A shortage of supplies is being reported
in some areas, including gas and food.
· Sewage and garbage remains uncollected,
presenting a public health crisis.
· Vaccinations and primary health care
systems are paralysed, and epidemics are possible
· Patients in need of kidney dialysis and
cancer treatment cannot receive it; in addition to this, 30 Palestinians
have died after being denied access to medical care, and numerous women
have given birth at the Israeli military blockades.
· Most universities and schools are not
· More than 50% of the population is
unemployed; furthermore many employed people are unable to get to their
places of work.
· Heavily armed Israeli soldiers
arbitrarily occupy civilians' homes.
· Israeli soldiers make armed raids into
areas under Palestinian Authority, shooting people in their homes, and
Palestinians are being punished through a combination of occupation,
military aggression & siege.
During the past 14 months the Israeli army has killed 924
Palestinians and 25,000 others have been injured which is 1% of the
population. 2,000 people have become permanently disabled.
Without your actions the situation can only
worsen. We call on you to contact your representatives to prevent this
humanitarian crisis from becoming a disaster.
For more information please call
Dr. Mustafa Barghouthi
00 972 50 254218