NOTE CAREFULLY, IN THE TABLE BELOW, THE DAY, DATE, TIME [ALL TIMES ARE EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME].
PROGRAMMING FOR THIS PAGE IS COMPLETED. TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION WILL BE DETERMINED AS THE COURSE PROGRESSES.
We will be using Elluminate Live in Isidore for the Web Conferences.
THIS TOOL ALLOWS US TO USE AUDIO FOR THE WEB CONFERENCES INSTEAD OF REQUIRING US TO TYPE OUR MESSAGES TO EACH OTHER. ACTUALLY, TYPING IS NOT ALLOWED EXCEPT IN EMERGENCIES, "E.G., A TORNADO IS ABOUT TO LIFT THE ROOF OFF MY HOUSE AND EXPLODE MY COMPUTER," OR, "I AM BEING ABDUCTED BY ALIENS AND THEIR DRIPPING BODILY FLUIDS ARE MUCKING UP MY KEYBOARD."
TO SEND A TYPED MESSAGE, CLICK ON THE BUBBLE NEXT TO YOUR NAME AND TYPE IN THE SPACE PROVIDED --- THEN CLICK ON "SEND."
Directions for Elluminate Participation
This program is both PC and MAC User-Friendly
You may have to disable a browser pop-up blocker.
The actual Web Conference program is running throughout the course so students can use it as a meeting place for group discussions.
You can begin assembling for the actual Web Conference about 15-30 minutes before the Web Conference is scheduled to begin.
For best results for participating in the Web Conference, a headset is desirable. Be sure to check your microphone/headset before the web conference to be sure it is in working order. Go to the lower lefthand corner of the screen (audio section) to test the appropriate levels for the mike and earphones.
Check your e-mail in case further instructions have been forwarded to you regarding methods for communication in the Web Conference.
A Web Conference (Audio Chat Room - Live Session) allows students to interact with each other
over the computer in real time. To participate in a Web Conference all the participants
must be on line at the same time. To participate in the Web Conference check
the schedule below for the appropriate date and time. Then follow
the "Guidelines for Participating in the Web Conference (Audio Chat Room - Live Sessions)." Note
that the Web Conferences (Audio Chat Rooms - Live Sessions) will be conducted using
1. Students' name will be registered automatically.
2. Comments need not be lengthy but they should be substantive.
3. A substantial contribution is NOT merely logging on to the Web Conference and sitting there. There has to be ACTIVE participation to earn credit for participating in the Web Conference.
4. Even though Web Conferencs may be access protected, you know how hackers are; anyone might be able to read what you say. This includes someone from Bangladesh, the Vatican, or your parents, or your physician, or your boss, or your sixth grade teacher. Speak honestly but not offensively.
5. You are only required to participate in 3 of the 8 scheduled Web Conferences. I have staggered the Web Conferences on different days so that, with some planning, you will be able to participate in 3 of 8 Chats with a minimum of conflicts.
6. Each Web Conference (Audio Chat Room - Live Session is worth 30 points. There will be no extra credit points for participating in more than 3 Web Conferences. Although you are welcome to participate in more than 3 Web Conferences.
5. Be challenging to everyone in the group --- as well as me!
WEB CONFERENCE (AUDIO CHAT ROOM) SCHEDULE
SOME TOPICS WILL BE ADJUSTED AS WE MOVE THROUGH THE COURSE.
HOWEVER, MOST OF THE TOPICS WILL FOCUS ON CASES.
|1. Saturday, 5/24||9:00-10:30 a.m. EDT||Orientation to Course Content and Methods of Delivery|
|2. Saturday, 5/31||9:00-10:30 a.m. EDT||Ethical Systems and Ethical Principles|
|3. Monday, 6/9||9:30-11:00 p.m. EDT||Questions about Ethical Systems and
Discussion of Thomas Moore's notion of "Soul" and it's relation to "Work."
|4. Tuesday, 6/17||9:30-11:00 p.m. EDT||How Does the Marianist Notion of "Mission" as Represented by Lackner's Virtues for Mission Complement Thomas Moore's Notion of "Soul" as One Approaches the "Calling of Work?"|
|5. Wednesday, 7/2||9:30-11:00 p.m. EDT||THE IMPORTANCE OF THE VIRTUE OF
What is its importance in the area of "Work?"
How can "Faith" and "Ethics" shed light on its importance.
In what direction should go? Followers to Leaders? Leaders to followers? Or in both directions?
|6. Wednesday , 7/9||9:30-11:00 p.m. EDT||LEADERSHIP AS SERVANTHOOD
Maxwell, John. "Servanthood." The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader. pages 133-140.
Greenleaf on Characteristics of the Servant Leader
|7. Monday, 7/21||9:30-11:00 p.m. EDT||Reflections on LaborenExercens, Part III, "Conflict Between Labour and Capital in the Present Phase of History," Sections 11-12. See Week 10.|
|8. Saturday, July 26||9:00-10:30 a.m. EDT||Reflections on LaborenExercens, Part V, "Elements for a Spirituality of Work," Sections 24-27. See Week 11.|