NOTE CAREFULLY, IN THE TABLE BELOW, THE DAY, DATE, TIME [ALL TIMES ARE EASTERN TIME].
TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION WILL BE DETERMINED AS THE COURSE PROGRESSES.
We will be using Elluminate Live (Collaborate Classroom) in Isidore for the Web Conferences.
THIS TOOL ALLOWS US TO USE AUDIO FOR THE WEB CONFERENCES INSTEAD OF REQUIRING US TO TYPE OUR MESSAGES TO EACH OTHER. ACTUALLY, TYPING IS NOT ALLOWED EXCEPT IN EMERGENCIES, "E.G., A TORNADO IS ABOUT TO LIFT THE ROOF OFF MY HOUSE AND EXPLODE MY COMPUTER," OR, "I AM BEING ABDUCTED BY ALIENS AND THEIR DRIPPING BODILY FLUIDS ARE MUCKING UP MY KEYBOARD."
TO SEND A TYPED MESSAGE, CLICK ON THE OPEN SPACE AT THE BOTTOM LEFT OF YOUR SCREEN AND TYPE IN THE SPACE PROVIDED --- THEN CLICK ON "ENTER."
Directions for Elluminate Participation
This program is both PC and MAC User-Friendly
You may have to disable a browser pop-up blocker.
The actual Web Conference program is running throughout the course so students can use it as a meeting place for group discussions.
You can begin assembling for the actual Web Conference about 15-30 minutes before the Web Conference is scheduled to begin.
For best results for participating in the Web Conference, a headset is desirable. Be sure to check your microphone/headset before the web conference to be sure it is in working order. Go to the lower lefthand corner of the screen (audio section) to test the appropriate levels for the mike and earphones.
Check your e-mail in case further instructions have been forwarded to you regarding methods for communication in the Web Conference.
A Web Conference (Audio Chat Room - Live Session) allows students to interact with each other
over the computer in real time. To participate in a Web Conference all the participants
must be on line at the same time. To participate in the Web Conference check
the schedule below for the appropriate date and time. Then follow
the "Guidelines for Participating in the Web Conference (Audio Chat Room - Live Sessions)." Note
that the Web Conferences (Audio Chat Rooms - Live Sessions) will be conducted using
1. Students' name will be registered automatically.
2. Comments need not be lengthy but they should be substantive.
3. A substantial contribution is NOT merely logging on to the Web Conference and sitting there. There has to be ACTIVE participation to earn credit for participating in the Web Conference.
4. Even though Web Conferencs may be access protected, you know how hackers are; anyone might be able to read what you say. This includes someone from Bangladesh, the Vatican, or your parents, or your physician, or your boss, or your sixth grade teacher. Speak honestly but not offensively.
5. You are only required to participate in 5 of the 10 scheduled Web Conferences. I have staggered the Web Conferences on different days so that, with some planning, you will be able to participate in 5 of 10 Chats with a minimum of conflicts.
6. Each Web Conference (Audio Chat Room - Live Session is worth 30 points. There will be no extra credit points for participating in more than 3 Web Conferences. Although you are welcome to participate in more than 5 Web Conferences.
5. Be challenging to everyone in the group --- as well as me!
WEB CONFERENCE (AUDIO CHAT ROOM) SCHEDULE
SOME TOPICS WILL BE ADJUSTED AS WE MOVE THROUGH THE COURSE.
HOWEVER, MOST OF THE TOPICS WILL FOCUS ON CASES.
|1. Tuesday, 1/28
WILL BE HELD IN SPITE OF UNIVERSITY WEATHER CLOSURE
|9:30-11:00 p.m. EST||Why Talk about Ethical Systems?|
|2. Saturday, 2/1||9:00-10:30 a.m. EST||What Do You Think is the "Best" Ethical System?|
|3. Friday, 2/7||7:30-9:00 p.m. EST||ETHICAL PRINCIPLES:
What Needs to be Clarified?
Which Ethical Principles are Most Compatible with Which Ethical System?
Which Ethical Principles are not Compatible with Which Ethical System?
Is There Any Ethical Principle that is More Important Than the Others?
ALSO, A DISCUSSION OF BUDDHISM --- CHECK LINKS ON WEEK 3.
|4. Thursday, 2/13||9:30-11:00 p.m. EST||POLITICAL LEADERSHIP AS WORK:
Some of you heard the State of the Union Address on 1/28; others have read about it. Political Leadership was on display that night and in subsequent discussions.
Has our work in this course shed any light on the "Work" of "Effective Political Leadership?"
|5. Monday, 2/24||9:30-11:00 p.m. EST||THE IMPORTANCE OF THE VIRTUE OF
What is its importance in the area of "Work?"
How can "Faith" and "Ethics" shed light on its importance.
In what direction should go? Followers to Leaders? Leaders to followers? Or in both directions?
|6. Friday, 3/14||7:30-9:00 p.m. EDT||LEADERSHIP AS SERVANTHOOD
Maxwell, John. "Servanthood." The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader. pages 133-140.
Greenleaf on Characteristics of the Servant Leader
|7. Friday, 3/21||7:30-9:00 p.m. EDT||Important Issues Discussed in John Maxwell's
Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading.
Values Grounded in Faith and Ethics.
|8. Wednesday, 4/9||9:30-11:00 p.m. EDT||Important Issues Discussed in Pete Luongo's
10 Truths about Leadership . . . It's not Just about Winning.
Values Grounded in Faith and Ethics.
|9. Saturday, 4/12||9:00-10:30 a.m. EDT||The Meaning of Success
Bonhoeffer, pages 150-160
|10. Thursday, 4/24||9:30-11:00 p.m. EDT||Assessment of the Theme of MBA 758.
I would like us to discuss the way this course has been designed by interlocking Faith, Ethics, and Work. [I did not design it; I tried to implement the design.]
(1) Do you think the theme can really create organizations that have a "moral" climate?
(2) Given the theme, do you think that other things could have been done to accomplish the objective/theme established by the MBA Program.
(3) Do you think some things could be eliminated and that the objectives could still have been accomplished?
(4) Do you think that your participation in this course has enhanced the realization of your hopes for an MBA degree?
(5) Were you surprised by any of the elements in the course's attempt to integrate Faith, Ethics, and Work?